Old Feb 27, 19, 8:20 am
Adam Smith

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
I've heard from other fliers that AC runs a ton of cargo YYC-YYZ and the narrowbodies would be harder to load because they don't accept a certain pre-loaded container size. In addition, there is something to be said for maintaining "signature service" to YYZ for a seamless connection experience for paid J. WS looks like they will maintain a 789 frame on this route; AC may wish to be competitive or they may not care?
I don't know anything about the cargo.

As for Signature Service the whole way, I'm not sure that holds up. The midday 763 YYZ-YYC is okay for some connections to Europe, but not great, and there's no widebody in the evening on YYZ-YYC to pick up people coming back (the 20:55 departure makes for a stupidly long layover). They would need to run a few daily widebodies to make that concept work.

If​​​ AC kills NRT, there is always the possibility WS will pick it up, but I still think ICN is a higher priority for them if they decide to launch any Asia flights ex-YYC.
WS has been very incremental with their international expansion so far. I think they're a very long way from doing anything TPAC. Consolidate and densify Europe first. And even when they start going TPAC, not sure YYC is the place to do it from, given the limited size of that market.