FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Perth to Sydney on board the Indian Pacific train Part 1
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:18 am
Tanya934

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Perth to Sydney on board the Indian Pacific train Part 1

It was a bright sunny Sunday morning as our driver picked us up from our hotel in Perth city centre and drove us out to East Perth station. Unlike most trains, the Indian Pacific does not depart from Perth Central so it gave us a different view of the city
The bags were off loaded and taken to the check in stand where we were given lanyards showing our train carriage class. They also took our hand luggage from us and took it straight to our compartment so we were free to stroll along to the platform and enjoy some music with a light breakfast of tea, coffee, juices, pastries and biscuits whilst we chatted to our fellow passengers. mins kla
Soon it was time to board and we were shown to our spacious compartment which would be our home for the next 4 days and 3 nights. The compartment comprised of a long seat with a wardrobe and drawers on one side and a set of drawers on the other side, together with an ottoman and 2 chairs in the centre. There was a full en suite, well stocked bathroom through a door facing the seats.. Our bags were already in our compartment and we unpacked and relaxed as our crew came round and introduced themselves to us, taking our drinks orders, trip requests and meal time reservations.
The train departed slightly early and we were soon making our way through suburban Perth en route to our first stop of Kalgoorlie. Houses soon gave way to fields and finally trees and scrub lands as we decided to explore our new home. Platinum class has its own restaurant to Gold class but you can eat in Gold if you wish. Half of the restaurant is set up as a lounge with an open complimentary bar as well as tea and coffee making facilities. Decaff is not normally available but they had bought some on board especially for me as I had requested it in our original booking.
Watching the countryside go past we got to know our fellow travellers and were soon exchanging life and travel tales over chilled glasses of champagne before lunch service started. Lunches are 2 courses with dinner being 3 courses inboard.
Resting/napping as the rocking motion sent us to sleep in the afternoon sun we were able to watch a lovely sunset over dinner before pulling into Kalgoorlie 90 mins later than scheduled.
For Platinum and Gold class passengers all off train excursions are included in your ticket cost so we boarded the coaches that took us to the outskirts of Kalgoorlie where we watched a play about the founding of Kalgoorlie. There was time to visit the museum, shop and examine the huge digging trucks used at the mine whilst enjoying a hot drink and chocolate truffles under a starry sky before boarding the coaches and driving further out to view the visitors gold mine from the top. The monster sized trucks we saw previously looked like tiny pin pricks on the surface of the mine. As the coaches drove back towards the train station we were given a brief tour of the town and a gift of a ball point pen as reminder of our visit to Kalgoorlie. It was after midnight when we climed into our compartment and found that our double bed had been made up together with a night cap drink, chocolates and 2 dressing gowns. Light off and blinds down, we were soon to sleep as we had an early wake up at our next stop in the moirning.