FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Achilles' Heel of the New CW: Beverages
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:07 am
abc193

Originally Posted by IkarosBOS

I strongly disagree on the point A to point B thing. Stating the CC primary job is getting us safely A to B is a modern dramatization and take on the cabin crew tasks, which tries to enhance their role in the eyes of the travellers but overlooks their actual routine activities. They don’t drive the plane. Call me arrogant, but i think they are there primarily for the pax comfort and assistance. They are Stewards, hostesses, and many CC who are my friends agree with me. In the reality of things, 95% of their paid time is not spent fuflfilling safety duties, BUT service duties (which they fulfill either brilliantly or lazily, or so so, just like anyone on a job). We all have good and bad days at work, but commitment, enthusiasm and professionalism should be always expected. To say that CC’s job is not also to serve you impeccably, either in a premium or economy, is just surrendering to sloppiness, and frankly makes this entire forum irrelevant. Let’s just go A to B, good night and good luck!
on a different note, i agree with you that the unavailable F&B choice in First is far more irritating than a deficient crew.
Fair enough and I do agree with you in principle. The A to B thing was more to point out that the crew have many more responsibilities than just making sure glasses are topped up, particularly in comparison to service at a nice restaurant (which was raised by the OP) since staff at 2/3* establishments often train for many years and their sole job is to ensure that all customers have a great dining experience.

However, I would hesitate to get on any flight, be it QR or BA, and expect impeccable service. The OP clearly places great importance on staying hydrated/appropriately tipsy (whichever applies), so if I were them I simply wouldn't sit and wait for an extended period of time without communicating to the crew that I'd like a top up if that's what I wanted.

As ever YMMV with each crew and I had been enjoying a glass or two of LPGS (courtesy of a wonderful flight in F) when I originally replied to this thread which may have marred the objectiveness of my judgement somewhat..I highly doubt I would have been offered such a lovely de-planing gift had I not also engaged & built rapport with the crew during that flight. I'd call that impeccable service