FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medallion Benefit Clarification & Upgrade Probability?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:51 pm
Cameron B

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1. Was this a normal status match/challenge open to the general public or was it some deal through your employer's corporate travel contract?

It is a status match open to anyone who Delta determines is worthy based on other airline status. You are required to apply, and Delta has cracked down on people trying to abuse it with fake credentials. I've heard of many denials, and they require hard status card photos (no digital accepted) and lengthy statements to show your travel history on another airline.

2. Was it a match or a challenge? Do you currently have the status to enjoy during the three month period or not?
It is a challenge. During the challenge they match your status from the competing airline. If you wish to keep that status beyond the 90 days you must meet the criteria of the challenge. I have full benefits of Plat Medallion (F Class upgrades, free bags, sky priority, etc) minus the Choice Benefits.

I'm confused. AFAIK one normally gets three months to qualify for a status tier under special terms that are considerably less that the normal annual requirements. Then, at the end of the three months (or earlier if the special requirements have been met earlier) one is awarded the status for the additional period that was specified in the contract. However, it's not considered to be earned status at that point and is treated similarly to comped status such as the recurring annual status granted to MMers.

I don't know what "normally" is, but it's as I have explained. I am recognized as a Plat Medallion during these 90 days, and I personally do not consider this "considerably less than normal annual requirements". It seems like simple math Delta is doing here. For a typical Plat Medallion they expect you to fly 75,000 MQMs annually and $9,000 annually. There are four quarters in a year, and you get one of the four quarters to match it, so all Delta has done is divided it by four. 75,000/4 = 18,750, and $9,000/4 = $2,250. This is quite literally the exact values of the challenge, so for all intents and purposes, anyone who meets the challenge is flying at least on par with that of a regular annual Plat Medallion flier. It makes perfect sense to me why Delta would extend all privileges to that person considering it's also what they would expect of a normal Plat Medallion each quarter as well. Obviously once you've reached the status you need to fly even more to ENJOY the status, so there's nothing "significantly less" about it.

It's not like they are accepting and handing out these challenges to just anyone. You have to be a proven hardcore flier with another airline in the first place. It's literally a business move for them to take you away from another airline.

Last edited by Cameron B; Feb 25, 2019 at 5:03 pm