FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Medallion Benefit Clarification & Upgrade Probability?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:59 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cameron B
I have just called into SM line for clarification on this. They agree with what I have previously stated. I personally don't care about the RUC's at the moment, just stating what I've been told and have understood from the start. That said, while I'm sure RUCs may be nice on some occasions, I value the complimentary upgrades on other routes through the year more than these, so they'll just be a bonus whether I get them or not.

My interpretation of Delta's wording is not the same as yours. I interpret it as follows:

Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion Status = Members who have a higher tier status with a different airline and are MATCHED with Delta's Platinum status via a challenge. The "match" wording is the 3 months challenge.

will not be eligible for Choice Benefits unless the requirements to extend Platinum Medallion Status are met = the Choice Benefits are not to be given to Challenge users unless they put the legwork in to meet the challenge, and only once a member has met the criteria to extend beyond the 3 month challenge will they receive the benefit.

You may consider giving a member who flies and meets criteria based on 3 months of work a slap in the face, but I would imagine Delta's hope and typical person they match with is someone that's going to stick around. Therefore, they feel that anyone who puts in 18,000+ MQMs and $2250 in a short 90 day period is worth giving status in full to. After all, the status match challenge is designed to coax passengers AWAY from other airlines. Delta doesn't care what other people think. They want my money. It's in their best interest to "show you what they've got" so to speak and not neuter a program when trying to keep a status match user from another airline they were once loyal to. SkyMiles are designed as a way to keep you loyal (that's the hope anyhow) with Delta. It's a total bait and fish situation, where I'm the fish.

While I would never use a blogger as an example to state a case against what I would assume is a very automated system with Delta, my interpretation matches that of a blogger's experience, and also the Sky Miles person I spoke to. Whether that sticks we will see. I'll be happy to update that once my challenge is over on April 23. If I get the RUC, great! If I don't, oh well. I didn't enter the status match for 4 hard to use RUC's anyhow.
1. Was this a normal status match/challenge open to the general public or was it some deal through your employer's corporate travel contract?

2. Was it a match or a challenge? Do you currently have the status to enjoy during the three month period or not?

I'm confused. AFAIK one normally gets three months to qualify for a status tier under special terms that are considerably less that the normal annual requirements. Then, at the end of the three months (or earlier if the special requirements have been met earlier) one is awarded the status for the additional period that was specified in the contract. However, it's not considered to be earned status at that point and is treated similarly to comped status such as the recurring annual status granted to MMers.