FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:51 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAEWR
I am flying EWR to NRT and a few days out my seat was changed from 20A, which is a Premium Plus available for free as an E+ seat since I am UA Gold, ...?
Only until end of March 2019 -- after that it will be extra $$$

.... Is it normal to have your seat changed with no notice? ...
Short Answer - Yes it can happen -- but since you have flown UA before, it is not a regular event.
Longer answer -- see this thread

With the reconfigured planes there is a lot of seat shuffling as configurations get swapped in and out
Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))
....Why would they move an elite traveler for crew, ...
Not done in economy
There are special contractual issues for premium cabin seating for pilots -- but rare to actually move a passenger.

...a disabled passenger, or an air marshal when E+ is 50% empty? ...
Disable passenger -- because only select E+ seats -- such as bulkheads are appropriate depending on the disability.
FAM -- by federal regulation, the FAM selects the seat and UA must move the passenger if the seat was assigned. The airline has no choice in the matter.
...Should I be worried about losing my seat again?
It could happen but low odds

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 25, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: link