FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Brexit and Travel
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:44 am
jimlad48

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by stut
Wouldn't say I'm a frequent traveller these days, with a very small person at home, and I mostly don't drive when I'm abroad. The only reason I was considering it was because the trip is the first week in April.

And yes, there are multiple types of IDP: the 1949 (valid for one year) and the 1968 (valid for three years). There seems to be little rhyme nor reason to the general punter as to which is accepted where (France takes the 1968, Spain takes the 1949, for example) so you do have to be wary, but the 1968 is more common in Europe. There's also the 1926, which has a wonderful list of countries: Iraq, Somalia, Brazil and Liechtenstein.
Sorry - wasn't trying to be difficult. I think it genuinely varies depending on personal circumstances. A regular traveller who hires cars in the EU, yes I would absolutely endorse getting an IDP.
In your case, it depends on where you are going, or even if Brexit is going to happen. My instinct is if you can delay the trip, then do so as I suspect a no deal will cause all manner of issues that will make it pretty unpleasant to travel to be honest as systems adapt to the new reality. If its a deal then you'll be fine.

If in doubt, go for it. But, I'd also strongly recommend waiting to see what happens this week and whether that kicks the 'no deal' into the Long Grass before deciding what to do.