FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any issues bringing back food from Hawaii?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:52 pm
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by philemer
I've always had to put checked bags on the AG screener before I ever get to the checkin counter. Maybe I'm not listening properly.
Only if you are going to the Mainland.

Originally Posted by Finkface
You must put your checked bags through agriculture screening. You don’t have a choice. It is a belt/xray set up just as you enter the check in lobby for your airline (see photo below). The ag screener puts a sticker on your checked bags once they have gone through. The airline will not accept your bag without the sticker. It is airline specific as well, as in, you have to go through the ag screening that is located nearest to your airline’s check in counter. You can’t go to just any one. Carry on bags do not go through this separate ag screening because they are checked as you go through security.

Daniel K. Inouye International Airport Agriculture Inspection

The sticker looks like this:
You might want to read that link again. It is applicable only to the US Mainland.

"All baggage bound from Hawaii to the U. S. Mainland is subject to pre-flight inspection by the U. S. Department of Agriculture."

I never put my checked baggage through when I am flying directly to Japan, New Zealand, or Australia. Of course, each have their own rules to which one must attend.