FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chances of non-regional business class?
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:25 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
@noggin2k1

Welcome to FT! (basically...2 posts before these). And great questions.

1.) I just pulled the numbers from FR24, as I wind my way through seemingly endless traffic this morning...
In 54 flights in 2019 so far (somehow I missed one...there were 55):
Shorthaul J: 43
33P: 20
772Z: 5
73Z/77P: 18

Longhaul J: 11
33E: 4
33K: 1
77H/A: 5
77G/K: 1

You can see what is what at the link, including what all abbreviations mean. 77H/77A are actually F-class equipped planes, fyi. In the good ole days 747 almost always flew this route and F seats were assigned to elites. Those good ole days are gone, however given how often this route sees regional birds. Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide. For your purposes caring about J class, 77G/77K, 77H/77A, and 73Z/77P are the same thing. The differences between those birds are only in Y class.

2.) DPS is not considered medium haul, I think is the longest "short-haul" route. That means regional bird highly likely. Medium haul destinations like CMB, MLE, DEL, BOM, MAA, HYD, DXB, CNS and PER all have "guaranteed' long-haul J, although some unfortunate equipment swaps have occurred to India lately. All this is also in the link above.

3.) Equipment swaps are rampant at CX. So if you have a long-haul bird it could swap to a short haul, and vice versa, sometimes multiple times before departure up until the hour before the flight. Overall it looks like a much greater chance of short-haul bird on this route. I didn't check which days have a higher chance but if you're really bored perhaps you can do that.