FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:40 am
PAX62

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by roundtree
1. 60 planes short per day.
2. WN has data showing the increased delays track to 100 specific mechanics.

Bad things, man. Bad things.
All the "problems" are tied to just 100 mechanics at only 5 of their macitence facilities and the sharp increase of out of service write ups started immediately after the last round of rejected offers to the Union....whereas the remainder of the facilities are maintaining normal and typical maintenance schedules. WN has the hard data to show that direct correlation.

The unions are playing games and WN is filing lawsuits for illegal labor practices. While the Union may claim "safety and doing their job per FAA regulations"...I can tell you as both a pilot and aircraft owner myself it is a very subjective area and if you look hard enough you can find something on almost any aircraft to make a claim for grounding vs getting it resolved ASAP. Not all maintenance issues affect the airworthiness of an aircraft, but some are leveraging those write-ups to sabotage WN's operations as much as possible.

The games are sickening and I hope WN prevails.