FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:36 pm
MaldivesFreak

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yet when I posted about my notion to skip dinner rather than pay $52 for a crappy pizza and beer at CMRI's Quiet Zone, he then attacked me for being "childish" and lectured me.....
The takeaway from his posts is that anyone who spends more than MaldivesFreak in the Maldives is a sucker who is getting ripped off, and anyone who spends less then he does is an underfunded cheapskate who does not appreciate or fully enjoy the Maldives. Either way, you can't win.
Erm, you should, in all fairness,

a) not lie, and admit that you went from 'crappy' (and supporting that opinion) to your actual opinions of 'good' and 'not so good'
The Quiet Zone is a lovely venue. You sit right on the beach, usually very few other people there. The problem may be that there's no kitchen there, all the food is delivered from the main island, so the pizza wasn't that hot in addition to not being very good. I ate there three years ago, had the $33++ steak sandwich and the same pizza, thought it was good.
.....a bit of a change there, huh. If anyone wants to, they can check out the conversation, mid-point here.

b) have said "There were at least half a dozen people (sorry, I lost count of the exact number) who criticized me for being "childish" / wanting to skip dinner after flying halfway round the world and lectured me as follows.....{insert all other FT' members' posts here}"
You can spin it all you want, but flying thousands of miles to what you know is an expensive 5-star property and end up skipping dinner to save 50 bucks is stupid, plain and simple. But hey, there are people doing it. Anyway, if you think the pizza is crap (which no-one else on TA does*), or is"not so good", then order something else instead!

* yes folks, out of 2600 reviews on TripAdvisor and in the last 6 years in the Conrad Rangali thread, there are all of two complaints about the pizza at Rangali Bar and one is his. As has been shown without a doubt you are indeed biased, so it would be healthy to admit it and stop exaggerating things to make me look biased.

MaldivesFreak is very knowledgeable about the Maldives resorts but is weirdly hypocritical on his approach to pricing there. If the price of something offends him personally, he will spew venom that Hilton is "screwing" us, that the prices in the Maldives are "legalized extortion," that the Ithaa cocktails and souvenir shops at CMRI are a "ripoff," and that prices charged for Evian are "disgusting."
Again, I have to repeat myself, cut through the bias and point out to folks reading this that those are not solely my opinions, but are the opinions of many many folks here and on TA, even though your spin on it certainly makes it look as if they are only mine and that I am somehow abnormal in what I think is over the line or offensive. Just like my opinion here is very in line with everyone else's (bar that guy) when it comes to the price of the Waldorf's 30-min 'boat ride'. So, if you have something constructive to say that doesn't have a spin put on it, please post away. But I warn you, do not misrepresent me. Otherwise I will retaliate in kind and put things straight like I have had to waste my time doing here.

Originally Posted by mb123
Sometimes I am wondering, where you get your information from.

Even Rangali, which hotel you are very familiar, used to have canadian lobster a few years ago, many others still have it on the menu, like the Reethi Rah
How many years ago?

On your next visit to Rangali you should ask for a tour to staff island, i doubt you will find a lot of local products in the storage facilities.
They do some hydroponics (green salad), plant some Herbs, especially mint for the cocktails, spices, chillies...everything else is imported.

Some more scientific work about this.
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/56361515.pdf
Re: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/56361515.pdf I appreciate the link but I'm not going to read 209 pages from a thesis done 10 years ago.
As far as Rangali goes, they have most of their vegetables grown on a nearby island, not grown on the staff island BTW (obviously not anywhere enough room for that). And there are other resorts which do the same thing.

Hopefully there will be more local production in the future, and actually there is more than a few years a go, but definitely not enough to deliver the hotels.
Yes, let's hope so. It will help decrease the carbon footprint.

I do apologise as I meant to emphasize that Rangali, as an example, has most of its veges grown locally. I was told that there are other resorts doing this as well, where they can. Obviously it's better to save money, support the locals and go greener.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 30, 2019 at 12:09 pm Reason: Consolidation.