FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:11 am
Seraph1836

Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
Just wanted to share my datapoint. I have a reservation in December for a New CAT 5. It's going up to a Cat 6 in two weeks. I called the UK office and asked to convert the certificate to be able to attach. Long wait... rep tried to attach the OC5. Came back and said he can't attach the certitficate because it will be expired... which is true... it expires in July... but that's not why it won't attach.

So I repeated "would it be possible to CONVERT the 830T certificate to a Category QP91, I'll pay the extra 60K to convert it.

LONG HOLD.

Rep came back online to confirm that I wanted to cancel and convert and TOLD ME that it would cost 60k more points... which I told him already. But hey, he's just confirming. Asked for my confirmation. I said... (with relief in my voice), Yes please, I have no issue with that! I thought it was all set now!

It seems that this rep was a little clueless and wasn't paying attention to what I was asking, but he then comes back and says I don't have enough points... as I only have 32k points. I told him... but I just had 242,000 points 1 hour ago!!! I realize what happened is that 210,000 points were posted to the reservation. So, I said that it looks like the points were added to the reservation... so those POINTS need to be removed from the reservation.

What i SHOULD have said is that the e-certificate needs to be removed... Anyhow, REP thought that cancelling the reservation would add the points back. I told him... I don't want to lose the dates, can't he just remove the points from the reservation. Well, he cancelled the reservation and then POOF... only 45,000 points are added back to the account.... not 210,000. So, now I'm MISSING 165,000 points! I said... WHOA! What happened?

Now I'm getting sick to my stomach thinking I've LOST 165,000 points... and I didn't even get an NC5 certificate out of it.

LONG HOLD.

He finally comes back and says he was able to do it... and I should see the points. I check out and it still says 77,000 points... it should be 182,000 + NC5 cert. I quickly checked the App... it's accurate... so I stop worrying.

At THAT point, the rep says... okay, so you just need to earn another 28,000 so we can attach the certificate... I'm thinking to myself... What is he talking about? Anyhow, I thank him for his time... I can SEE the new certticiate and I can see the points balance is at 182,000 points.... so I don't worry.

Hang-up, and call right back. I ask her to attach the certificate to the reservation. She says sure no problem... tells me it will be MAX 5 minutes, please hold. COmes back in 60 seconds... says it's done. I ask her to verify my points balance and she says it's 182,000. IN THE END, I got it done, but it wasn't easy... this thread helped. But I learned two valuable lessons...

1. if you think the rep doesn't really understand what you're saying... HUCA. It's not worth the anxiety and stress and TIME wasted.
2. Make sure you DO NOT have enough points to make the reservation with points. Make a dummy reservation you can cancel later. If you don't have enough points, the points won't be added to any reservation.
3. Try to focus on the certificates, not on a specific reservation.
4. DETACH, DETACH, DETACH... CANCEL and UPGRADE are your two STOP words.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all of those doing the legwork on this. It's super helpful and one less thing to stress about.
Agree to change another Rep if you think the existing one can't handle your request - I have plenty of experience to prove that...