FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shangri-La Hotels: The NEW Golden Circle Program
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:22 am
Giovan

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I find the Golden Circle by Shangri-La Hotels to be the best loyalty program in the market for its flexibility in earn and redemption options. I believe it has the highest earn rate at 10% return on spending. You can earn and redeem at any bar, bakery, and restaurant at any Shangri-La branded property worldwide even when not staying at the hotel. For those who already have their Golden Circle membership card, (can be requested after your 1st stay) you can easily earn points or redeem points to pay your bill with just a swipe of your card, it's basically a debit card. I usually keep around 400 USD worth of points (4,000 GC points) in my account in anticipation of the reward redemption sales (discount on required amount of points to redeem free nights, anywhere from 25-50% off), which occurs at least 2 times a year.

Golden Circle's generous annual birthday benefit entitles you to earn triple (3x) points on your first dining transaction upon recieving the e-mail offer, which is usually sent one (1) week prior to your registered birthday with a minimum one month validity (i.e. birthday on January 3, the b-day benefit expires at end of February). You have to be careful and plan your use since you cannot choose which transaction gets the points multipler, it's a single transaction benefit, you could easily end up earning triple points for a 5 USD cup of coffee at the lobby instead of your 200 plus dollars meal at the restaurant of your choice. It's best not use your GC card within a week before your birthday to avoid complications, note that dining charges to your room doesn't count, so your safe in that situation. Triple points is equivalent to 30% return in points: 100 USD spend (amount excluding tax and service charge) earns 100 base points x 3 = 300 GC points, equivalent to 30 USD in FnB credit (no tax and service charge for GC redemptions). The obvious and best strategy would be to dine in a large party.

The Golden Circle program is an advantage to those members who live in a city with a Shangri-La branded property, as the potential to earn and redeem is more convenient. I happen to live in a city with 4 Shangri-La properties, so it's especially rewarding in my case. I honestly think the Golden Circle program is a dining loyalty card with a hotel loyalty program attached.

I only redeem for hotel stays at 1,000 to 2,000 GC per night properties since the points diminish value with higher priced redemptions. Shangri-La at Shard, London for example requires 20,000 GC points (2,000 USD worth of FnB credits) for a sub 1,000 USD per night hotel, which cuts the value of your GC points by more than half.

Overall, Golden Circle is worth maintaining. The only hotel loyalty program that awards their mid-tier (Golden Circle: Jade) status members with complimentary buffet breakfast for 2 daily for just 10 stays or 20 nights. Breakfast at Shangri-La hotels tend to be the best in their locale.

Note that redemption nights and stays count towards your status.

Last edited by Giovan; Feb 24, 2019 at 1:59 am Reason: Typo