FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stuck (HNL) for 3 days due to GUM weather (Typhoon Wutip). Can they help?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:27 pm
Feyte

Originally Posted by zrs70
Welcome to FT! So sorry for what you are experiencing. Never fun to endure a delay.

What do you mean you won't be reimbursed? If flight is cancelled, they should offer a refund.
Have you looked at options online? Are you willing to go via Asia? It always helps to have flights in mind when contacting the airline.
On your flight to the east coast, what was the reason for the delay?
Thank you for your message! The island I'm trying to get to is an outter island near Guam. Flights rarely go in and out of there outside of united once ever week to two weeks. It was for a funeral. I hear you on the different airlines. I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens! The east coast was 3 (connecting) flights total. I think first was weather but subsequent flights were actually mechanical.

Originally Posted by bmw303
Hi OP, its a fair question. Your best bet, as previously mentioned, is potential credit card travel insurance, which you may have depending on the credit card you used to purchase this ticket. The next option is simply pleading your case at the airport in the nicest way possible without being demanding, recognizing you're not entitled to accommodations, and just asking if the airline can do anything for you. If they say no though, you should be prepared to just say thank you and leave it at that. But no harm asking once every day you're stranded.

Some hotels may offer distressed traveler rates - you can inquire with nearby hotels.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck. United does go above and beyond for 1K / GS members (which are their two types of most profitable customers), but short of that, you're probably out of luck with United (and for that matter, any airline) in this situation.
Thank you so much for your message. Honestly if they are partnered with a hotel, having a hotel offer a discount would be so ideal. I typically don't fly with united because i don't know what it is but i feel like I have the worst luck, however a particular outter island near guam is usually only serviced by united. I also didn't want my bag lost again going to a place where a lot of things just aren't sold. They aren't as developed as Guam or the US. I try to avoid multiple airline hopping to one destination due to the bag.
United only pops in once a week or two. Showing up to Guam later forces me to pay for a hotel here for a few days, and Guam for possibly another week or so. Being that these are popular destinations, nightly rates are expensive. I was very adamant about going only because it was specifically for a funeral. I appreciate your hotel suggestion and that is something specific I can gun for. Even if it only knocks like 20 bucks off a night, that's a huge difference to me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:03 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)