FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shouldn't Iberia honour a British Airways flight booking they booked in my account
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:03 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fiona B
Just before we are due to fly we discovered we couldn’t book seats or meals online so we telephoned and they said immediately that the person who had booked the BA flights had 'made a mistake' and they were reservations only. When we ask why they booked them to appear in our accounts if they hadn’t swapped the points over to pay for them they repeatedly tell us that the promotion ended on December 1st and it’s too late now and we have to pay for the BA flights if we want them. But this was all done in November before the deadline. And by them! They also hadn’t cancelled the Qatar flights. Once they added the BA flights into our account it was up to them to sort out the details. They can’t blame us.
I don't have any magic wand on this one, it's about as difficult as it gets. I can see what happened: when you complained earlier someone in Iberia checked out the reservation options, and that's how the BA services ended up attached - but not confirmed - to your booking. The trick to this is to get an e-ticket from Iberia with a ticket number on it for the BA services, which you won't have received, you may have something for the Qatar services. I don't blame you for thinking the BA service was confirmed, but in reality it was never more than a "what-if" position from Iberia.

I don't know how this was left, but so long as you have plenty of printouts and screenshots saved you may be in a position to book alternative services and try to pursue Iberia after travel for any monetary shortfall. This is a high risk strategy, even EC261 requires you to have a confirmed reservation. My hope is that via liaison with Iberia you are able to resolve something, even if it's a compromise.

It's a good example of why it's important to follow up carefully and precisely with Iberia in these sorts of circumstances, and make sure you have e-tickets fully issued. If it was a fully automated booking - with automated e-tickets - then it's less of a factor. Keep us informed, I hope you get this resolved. And welcome to the Iberia Forum, welcome to Flyertalk.