FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Not showing on upgrade waitlist
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:55 pm
PABE

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by ASRobo
I can attest this has happened to me and my wife numerous times, 100% of the time. Another thing that absolutely I can assure you of is if your name is NOT on the upgrade list on your mobile app then you are not on the upgrade list... period. No matter what the person or persons on the phone tell you. No matter what the agent might tell you checking in/checking a bag. No matter what the gate agent will tell you. You MUST get them to manually add you to the upgrade list and you must see it on your mobile app or you will clear upgrades when they start to go at the gate. I have first hand experience (painfully) of watching this happen. This isn't new... this has been happening for quite a while now.
Whenever I fly with my SO (non-elite), she never shows on the upgrade list at the gate. But to say that she isn't on the upgrade list isn't totally accurate - just partially.

If there is >2U space available between t-72 and gate control, we will both clear automatically.

If it goes to gate/airport control, SO will not show on the upgrade list. From there it seems to be hit or miss whether she gets upgraded. A few times, the agent has paged me to the podium to give me two new boarding passes. But usually the agent just clears me and skips to the next person. An agent once explained to me that they have to manually look to see if the companion is eligible and most gate agents don't bother and just look at the gate list.