FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:49 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Steven Trembacki
Since I'm relatively new to BAEC, what is the best use of BAEC avios ? Short haul to Europe? I am OK with that, but just means I'll have to adjust my expectations.
Short-haul certainly can be very good value: 4,000 Avios + £17.50 in economy to AMS, for example. Or perhaps even better, 4,000 Avios + £3.30 LUX-LHR. There are also some good value short-haul redemptions on other airlines, such as SYD-MEL in business class for 9,000 Avios + £10.10.

Upgrading using Avios (eg buy a World Traveller Plus ticket, perhaps during a sale, and upgrade to Club World) is still pretty good because you earn Avios and TPs for the underlying WT+ cash fare while still benefiting from the use of the Avios to secure perhaps the biggest step-up in comfort; starting from the UK, the additional TFC to pay on such an upgrade is still relatively modest.

Alternatively, making use of Amex companion (2-4-1) vouchers for pure redemptions in premium cabins: you still have to pay the TFC for both people, but it can make your Avios stretch significantly further. Or you could use them for a treat that would be beyond normal reach, such as flying in First.