FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The BA Champagne & Wine thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:41 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
In the same way that many good wines improve with age, I'm glad to see that the "2017" vintage of this thread is still alive and well.

Those who are able to may want to read Jancis Robinson's FT article on airline wine:-
Jancis Robinson on the best airline wine lists

While a lot of airlines have cut their wine budget, it’s not all doom and gloom for oenophiles

In 1995, I was invited to join the team responsible for choosing the wine on British Airways. I felt very grown-up.

Other team members were Hugh Johnson, the world’s best-selling wine author, Michael Broadbent, head of Christie’s wine department, and Colin Anderson, another Master of Wine who was once responsible for buying so much wine for Allied Lyons that his nose was insured with Lloyd’s.

It will come as no surprise to those who know the subsequent history that Jancis Robinson is particularly scathing about what has happened at BA, nor that she refers to (this) FT in relation to the Villa Maria episode (although I'm not convinced that the correct wine has been identified); but the article also contains a lot of interesting background information about how things are done by many airlines.

Also notable in the article are a couple of quoted observations from Charles Metcalfe:-
  • [*]
Yet so much commentary here on FT is based on name and price rather than how good the wine was - particularly what the wine tastes like at altitude, which is notably different from what it tastes like at sea level.