FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:16 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Just to kindly confirm for me, am I correct in saying that if I want to use a Travel Package towards a property that is moving up a category in March, I need to have it attached to that stay beforehand and locking in the Points Advance rate is not suffice (but it would be fine if just using outright points to lock in the rate?)?

It is better to do it this way. Although as long as you have made the Point Advance booking BEFORE March 5th, in theory the rate is locked in, but you would have a very hard time to get the cert attached AFTER March 5th because it requires special handling - given the majority reps dont even know how to handle TP cert bookings, you are asking for more hassle if you dont attach your cert before property category goes up.

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Also, when cancelling a stay with an old cert attached, call to ensure it’s detached first so as it recredits back to my account as ‘Old’ giving a longer longevity to it as there is a year extension effectively when converting it across to ‘New’?
NO, not in the way you explained.

The extension happens when the old cert converted to the new cert (in order to be able to attach to the reservation.) When you detach it at cancellation of said reservation, the now NC does NOT give you a new date. Read back a few pages - there are DPs on both NC and OC, when detached, retain the ORIGINAL DATEs without any change.

The ONLY chance you have the validity extended for a new life is when the OC is converted to the NC. Nothing else would.