FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dreaded "Sorry this hotel not taking reward redemptions at this time" error
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:43 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, Marriott's No Blackout Dates has always meant they made at least one room available for redemption at one point in time. If they made it available and it was taken, there will be no more. Or if they make it available in the future, maybe you'll be the lucky one who gets it.

Not every property goes down the one room path, but the more popular the hotel, the more likely.
Aren't the properties compensated by corporate? Is that compensation not fair market value?

I ask because of a personal phenomenon I've noticed. When I book with points, I find that I'm more likely to spend on food & beverage, or a spa service for the girlfriend, etc. on property. I guess it's just the idea that I haven't spent money on the room, so why not get a couple $20 martinis at the bar rather than go down the street for $11 martinis.

So if the properties are fairly compensated, they may have an opportunity to make more money on points reservations, rather than not making them available. I'm guessing fair compensation is the issue though.