FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Mainland Resident Taiwan Travel Permit (Lu Bao Zheng) abroad?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:37 am
tauphi

Originally Posted by State of Trance
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know where you read that transit via TPE without 往來臺灣通行證 is allowed to the country of residence? At least this would open up BR to us when we are traveling together to/from mainland China.
The following response was provided by PVG border control on their own website (http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/mail_jb2.aspx):

处理号:18178 留言时间:2018.4.14 姓名:H**
问: 您好我是中国公民持美国绿卡,需经台湾转机(停留台北48小时)飞美国旧金山。有入台许可但没有大陆居民往 来台湾通行证。请问可以正常从上海出境吗?
回复时间:2018.4.20
答: 您好!根据您所描述的情况,大陆居民前往台湾可凭大陆居民往来台湾通行证和赴台签注办理前往台湾的边检手续 ;或凭有效的中国护照和美国绿卡办理经台湾中转前往美国的边检手续。 若有疑问,您可致电上海边检总站(021—31366000,51105100)咨询。

However, if you're leaving from a port other than PVG, I suggest that you contact the border control directly and clarify the requirements with them.

Originally Posted by State of Trance
From what I remember, traveling to HKG also requires a a similar permit for PRC passport holders (Two Way Permit, or 雙程證) unless you are in transit. We've used the transit provision without issues traveling onwards to NRT, but I wonder if either mainland or HKG immigration would object to Taiwan as the third country considering the cross-strait situation?
For passengers departing for HKG only a Chinese passport is required. No checks are made by Chinese border control as to onward travel or visa. HKG immigration may ask for evidence for onward travel (although this is extremely rare) but they should have no issues with your wife travelling to Taiwan.