FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:51 pm
jiajun

Programs: OZ*G, Nexus, APEC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Never ever trust Google for information. Aside from Facebook, Google is the biggest spreader of fake information and news for that matter (no matter what they say otherwise). A colleague of mine thought they had their Facebook account hacked and searched for Facebook customer service. Top result was a 1800 number which once he called they asked him for sensitive information like credit card details and passport number. Fortunately he texted me whilst on the phone and I told him to hang up right away.

Here's what a Fake ad on Google looks like:

I'm guessing this is what the OP saw (except for United instead of Fakebook).

These days, the only way you can get reliable information is to go directly to the horses mouth (i.e. United's website).

As for what you can do about it: If you can get a screenshot of the Google result, I'd recommend capturing the screenshot. I've seen ads which purport to be a reputable company (i.e. Facebook) which when either clicking the link or calling the number go to another website. That act by itself constitutes misrepresentation which is a form of fraud that can be tried criminally as well as through civil litigation. With respect to your credit card company, they agree to protect you from fraudulent transactions. Hence, such misrepresentation represents covered fraud.

If you are unable to find a screenshot (i.e. Google pulled the ad), contact Google Adwords directly and demand they send you evidence of the fraud. The Chief Legal Officer of Google is David Drummond and his Google email address can be found online. I have personally emailed him on several occasions and within a few minutes of sending the email the scams magically disappear. I cannot prove that David personally saw the email but I suspect had I not sent the email the scams would still be there.

Safe Travels,

James
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, quite some time had passed until I discovered this and that phone number is no longer showing up on the search result. I didn't think it was an ad that I clicked on, but that makes more sense. It would be too difficult to get an organic ranking for that. I will try contacting Google Adwords and see if they can provide any evidence. Thanks for the suggestion.