FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA and TK Tickets...TK changing flight times....ugh
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:38 am
764toHI

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
- OP bought two tickets, the TATL on UA stock, and the domestic on TK. He/she should be changing the domestic TK flight. Changing the inbound TATL itinerary would be bad advice given the likelihood of exorbitant change fees as others have suggested.

Originally Posted by GFrye
It's a UA ticket, so he'd have to make the change through UA. Doesn't matter if it's a codeshare on LH since he would need to change the whole return trip and he hasn't started it yet. Until the OP starts his return trip, UA is handling the ticket.
- I'm going to guess the OP was originally booked on a 3:30am-5:00am AYT-IST flight connecting to the IST-FRA flight departing at 7:55am. Around the last week of March, it looks like TK pushes departure to 5:40am, arriving IST at 7am. I've never connected in IST, and it sounds like a madhouse, but I would feel comfortable with a ~3hr layover on separate tickets in the morning.

Originally Posted by GFrye
Possibly because it would be below the MCT.
The OP hasn't told us the original time between flights at IST, but we know that it was less than 1:50 since the 50 minute rescheduling caused the time between flights to be "less than an hour."
The MCT from domestic to international is 1:30. If the original time between flights was less than 1:30, that explains why he couldn't add the IST-AYT segments to the TATL itinerary.
If the OP booked separate tickets in order to circumvent the MCT, I think we can all agree that it would be a terrible idea. Even if the time between flights was slightly above the MCT, few people would be willing to take that risk once they realize the potential cost of changing the TATL itinerary in case the domestic flight gets delayed, cancelled, or moved to a different airport.
- Seems like the OP is not fully aware of the consequences of booking two separate tickets and the new IST airport which is expected to be fully operational by the end of Q1. But in this case, I can see what the OP's intentions were given how cheap AYT-IST flights are. OP will have to take his poison and lose $100 for the new flight and hotel room, but I'd hardly call that a catastrophe.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2019 at 10:14 am Reason: removed quote of deleted material