FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TP/Avios for AUP to a GUF'd booking
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:18 am
abligh

Programs: BAEC GGL
TP/Avios for AUP to a GUF'd booking

If I book in WTP and apply a GUF to CW (through a TA if that matters), then purchase an AUP so I'm in F, what TP/Avios do I get (by the book) (*)? The sticky thread says:
  • If you receive an operational upgrade and then pay for a further upgrade, you should only get the initial ticket level, in the above example World Traveller Plus Avios and Tier Points, but there are reports of passengers actually getting First Tier Points and Avios.
But that's an OpUp not a GUF which is potentially slightly different as I'd have a ticket booked into a revenue class. I understand that in theory without the AUP one should get only WTP TP/Avios, but the "if you purchase the upgrade you should get the upgraded class TP/Avios" rule might apply with the GUF.

Aside from what is meant to happen by the book, what happens in practice?

(*) - having written this and reread it, I realise how arcane this forum must seem to people who don't read it regularly. Decoded if wordy version for those struggling with TLAs: "If I book in premium economy / world traveller plus, then apply a 'gold upgrade for one' voucher' to get to club world / business, using a travel agent, and subsequently purchase an airport upgrade to get to first, what tier points or Avios do I get?".