FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy - a brand explained
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:39 pm
KRSW

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That being said, I don't think the people at Marriott involved in program design, the website, promotions, actually travel. If they did, many of these issues would be obvious. If they had a focus group of travelers, it would also be obvious.
I've often said that if CEOs had to actually use the systems and policies they promulgate, these systems and policies would be replaced immediately.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Since the reaction of 90-95% of the people on FT was something along the lines of "barf", I think they should have spent some money on focus groups. Obviously their marketing department is completely clued out as to what resonates with their most loyal customers.

And the fact that their customers are ridiculing the name, speaks volumes.
Marriott reminds me much of an old employer I worked for. The new marketing guy insisted that our core customer was a 25-34 year old male and insisted we cater and tailor our product to that group. Anyone with a working eye could see that our core customer (by both population & spend) were males >55 years old. The guys in my department set up a camera and we did our own statistical counts from what we saw. The marketing guy refused to believe our results, citing that they paid thousands to some research firm and that's where they came up with the number. How did the research firm get their data? QR code surveys. ::facepalm::

Marriott's too focused on chasing the elusive millennial rather than taking care of the people who are actually giving them business. As an old machinist told me, "You've got to work with the tools you've got, not the ones you wish you had.", albeit he said it with much saltier language.

From the non-working insiders page, it appears to be The Lacek Group, a Minneapolis based "customer-engagement agency that develops marketing solutions at the intersection of brands, data insights, and creativity.
Duly noted. I know who I won't be hiring.