FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG was 1:1 , now it is 2:1 even though the points have
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:17 pm
eefor jfp

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by randys1
OK, thanks.

So assuming I dont want to spend $450 a year for a fee, the current card is the BEST I can do for Marriott points, right?

I will soon no longer need these points and will want United miles and will look at another Explorer card or whatever, i.e. what is the best way to get united or Alaska miles as those will be the two airlines that fly out of the new city we are moving to. But for now if this is the best I can do for Marriott then so be it, thanks.
Depending on your spending patterns, the Chase Sapphire Reserve might be an attractive card. You earn Ultimate Rewards points which can be transferred to UA 1:1. For travel and dining spend (airfare, hotels, rental cars, etc. plus restaurants including fast food) you earn three points (and thus 3 UA miles) per dollar. Other spend gives you one UR point (and thus one mile) per dollar. Annual fee is $450 but you get $300 back for travel spend. So net fee is $150 which is a little cheaper than getting both the standard Chase Marriott and Chase UA cards.

The UA card give double miles on UA and at hotels and restaurants (but not rental cars) and one mile per dollar on other spend. The Marriott card give 6x points at Marriott which can work out to 2.5 miles per dollar (25K UA miles when you transfer 60,000 points) and, as you've discovered, two points per dollar (less than one miles per dollar) on other spend. Obviously there are other benefits associated with all these cards but the bottom line is if you really want just UA points, the best deal for earning may actually be the Chase Sapphire Reserve because you can fly any airline and stay at any hotel and earn three UA miles per dollar spent (though spreading your spend around may affect earning status which has other benefits).