FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More points promo - 2/15-5/15/2019 - 1,000 (or 1,500 pls / night)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:31 am
jameswes

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
Yes.

I am on a long stay, which started before the promo was announced and continuing for a few more weeks.

The promo doesn’t kick in until the second stay. If the T&C’s were friendly, I could just split the stay in two - check out today and check back in, commencing the ‘second stay’. However, the T&C’s require that there be a 24 hour gap between the first and second stay. The only way around this would be to leave the property im in for a day and come back.

Very unfair for those who stay multiple weeks at a time.
I think where this is coming from is that Hyatt considers multiple reservations at the same hotel in a back-to-back form to be considered a single "stay". I think that's because on the back end they generally merge them together, and it regularly doesn't actually require a check-out (you can stay in the same room). This made a much bigger difference in HGP because there were stay-level bonuses for Diamond (1K points/stay), and status could be earned through 25 stays.

Anyway...
In this situation, if you check out of Hotel A on Friday morning, then check in to Hotel B on Friday afternoon, Hotel A's stay will absolutely count as a stay and all of Hotel B's stay will have their nights count towards the promo.
However, if you "check out" of Hotel A on Friday morning and then "check in" to Hotel A on Friday afternoon, then the stays are very likely to be merged and then the entire time at Hotel A counts as a single stay.

So the two best methods to prevent that situation are:
1) Check in and out of another hotel before your extended stay
2) Have at least a day between when you check out of the hotel for the first time and then check back in.
3) **MAYBE** you could have a one-off stay (even overlapping) at another Hyatt. That could trigger the "first stay" that doesn't count towards promo, then the nights from your longer stay may count.