Old Feb 18, 19, 7:53 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
Planning a xONEx itinerary, and have 2 questions. Please point me to the rules (could not find them any more on the new and enhanced web site) or from recent experiences. Thanks in Advance.
I'm happy to answer the question you asked, but I wanted to point you at a thread with many existing helpful tips, advice, information, and interpretation of the rules (it's a great resource when planning an xONEx): The oneworld explorer ticket FAQs.

1. Is this portion of itinerary allowed? LAX-SYD-PER-xMEL-NRT. Note that I am back-trekking to MEL with a less than 24 hour layover at MEL.
No. While backtracking within a continent is permitted (except for Hawaii and North America), SYD-PER uses up your one permitted to/from PER transcon within Australia, so you can fly SYD-PER but then you'd have to add a connection to to from PER to MEL:

WITHIN AUSTRALIA ONLY ONE NONSTOP/SINGLE PLANE SERVICE FLIGHT IS PERMITTED BETWEEN THE FOLLOWING POINTS -
BNE/CBR/CNS/SYD/MEL - PER
CBR/MEL/SYD - DRW
BNE/MEL/SYD - BME
BNE/MEL/SYD - KTA

You can fly each line once, and you want to fly the first line (the PER line) twice. Add a connection (or stop) (such as ADL) or connect to NRT another way.

2. Never flew S7 nor have I ever been to even the air-side of any Russian airport. Hence this question: I want to fly this itin NRT-xIKT-HKG. Plan to do international to international transit (less than 24 hours) without a visa. Is it prudent to do so?
Thank you for your sharing.
I'd suggest asking in a Russia related forum or even a TripAdvisor forum.