FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Designing the most cost-effective polycarbonate suitcase (Need your help!)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:12 pm
tclvictor

Originally Posted by GoRavens
What you are proposing sounds no better, but more expensive than the Amazon Basics PC spinner bags. At least with Amazon's spinners, if a wheel gets busted, I can have one shipped to me via prime within a day or two.

As for the battery, I would personally avoid any carry on bag with a built in battery - this idea isn't new or innovative, and just adds weight and cost. Built in scale - IDK, sounds like a gimmick and another thing to break to me. No offense, but it sounds like you're just cherry picking off-the-shelf components and trying to figure out what's the best mix.

What's your unique proposition? What's your differentiator? If you can't explain that in a simple, believable sentence or two, you have a marketing problem.

Best of luck.
The truth is designing a suitcase is exactly like picking off-the-shelf components and put them together in the best way. What matters is quality and cost control. Basically, all the luggage companies do the same thing. Our differentiator is simple, we use the best components to make the best suitcase in its price tier.
If you look at the specifications of Amazon Basics spinner bags, you will find the cheap ones are mostly made of ABS or ABS+PC which are cheaper than 100% PC. Not to mention they use less good wheels, cheaper interior fabric, medium quality telescoping handles. Although they may suffice the basic needs of travel, the user experience could be better.