FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:31 pm
Concerto
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Absolutely, I flew that LGW-ABZ-INV a couple of times when I was at the University of Surrey in 1988. I remember being on a morning flight once, having got a slow but dependable regional train from Guildford Gatwick, and the full bar service being offered along with some sort of hot breakfast. Ridiculously, I had a couple of whiskys, while the cabin attendant said she had no idea how I managed to do it (I felt really awful for the rest of the day, never drank in the morning since). I loved flying from ABZ to INV, blearily looking down on the countryside of my grandparents and thinking they would never have seen it like this, whereupon the cabin attendant offered me another whisky. Luckily I had the sense to refuse. My grandfather would have snaffled that, prior to eating one of the salmon he regularly caught in the River Deveron. I still had to get the coach up to Thurso (probablly Rapson's Coaches in those days, knew all the drivers).

My last Dan Air flight was on 27th August 1992, DA155 from INV to LGW, not so long before they were taken over. I remember quite a lot of bad feeling in the Inverness area about that takeover. It was even extensively written about in the Highlands newspaper, the Press & Journal. As for 1983, I was doing a lot of Dan Air flights then from INV to LHR and vv.