FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:43 am
aristoph

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

We just returned from a week away in South Africa, and flew BA LHR-JNB in F both directions having purchased the 2-4-1 tickets last year. It's been a while since I've flown F on a paid ticket, but my expectations I think were reasonable and informed. So what was the reality?

On the ground:
  • The First Wing is fine but lacks any real wow factor, especially when you have to queue and one lane is closed. Plus why did the lady at BP say, oh silver card, you must be his guest, to my partner, when we were both ticketed in F? (Small thing I know, but hardly rocket science to get it right!)
  • The Concorde Room is definitely improved since my last visit. I remember elusive, unhelpful staff but this time they were delightful and proactive. The food in the dining area was also pretty good.
  • Priority Group 1 boarding was a joke at both LHR and JNB.
  • The First lounge at JNB is beyond bad. I used to be a regular on this route and remember when it was a definite upgrade to the old lounge. Now it is just overcrowded and grim - if you have Priority Pass, go somewhere else.
  • Not directly related, but as is well-known the SLOW lounges in JNB and CPT domestic (access by flying Comair) are amazing; great food, tons of space, wide choice of drinks, delightful staff. I felt very envious that AF/KL passengers get to use this at JNB International departures.
Crew in the air
  • Mixed fleet crew in both directions. I was surprised at this as I thought JNB would be a prime route, ie WW, but it seems I'm out of touch with how it works these days.
  • The CSM on the way down was amazing. He introduced himself to everyone at length, passed through the F cabin regularly, and came at the end of the flight to debrief with everyone personally and thank us for flying F. On the way back she did introduce herself, but wasn't seen again. (Interestingly, both CSMs were more mature whereas I had assumed all MF crew were at the younger end of the age range, again my misperception it seems.)
  • The crew outbound was young and nervous, but proactive and attentive. They were also very slow to serve dinner; the table wasn't set until 1h30m out of LHR, and we didn't finish dessert until 3h+ after take-off. On the way back it was all much quicker, and over by 2h after wheels-up.
  • The crew on the way home was not so good. Fast yes, but sloppy and inattentive. I asked for water with my meal twice before it was brought. I rang the call bell twice to have our table cleared before going to the galley to find the attendant just standing there doing nothing (she said that "it is the same system as Club, so if they don't clear their calls we can't tell"). We both ordered gin and tonics (seated together) and they brought one. We asked for lots of ice; guess what....
  • The attitude of the return crew left a lot to be desired. I don't expect obsequious service (honestly!), but it would be nice to be addressed by name or even as sir rather than rudely interrogated. When I woke up in the morning, for example, no pleasantries whatsoever but she barked "Do you want breakfast?" as she walked past me in the aisle. Whatev.
Onboard experience
  • On both flights, when the CSMs introduced themselves I asked (very nicely) if they could try and make sure the cabin didn't become too hot in the night and both assured me they would. No surprises, on the way down it was perfect, on the return I woke stifling in the middle of the night. (When I went to the bathroom at the front 1R door there was hot air pumping through the vents.) I went and found the night crew who did turn it down, but still.
  • I slept solid 7 hours outbound, but was woken up by the heat and then by breakfast at 2h+ out of London. There seemed to be an unusual amount of banging and footfall during this service, which I just slept through outbound. Hmmm.
  • The food was pretty poor in both directions, but especially JNB-LHR (which I didn't expect because my memory of this route was good return local catering.) The quality was poor as was the cooking - I know, "don't eat the beef", but really the choices are so limited that it was almost the default option.
  • I was very surprised that no SA wines were served in either direction. It was on this route that I first taste Chocolate Block, as well as enjoying some excellent favourite SA reds. Now a passable Saint Emilion, a Chilean Pinot (didn't try) and an Argentinian Malbec which I Googled and retails at US$10 a bottle. I'm sorry, but there is a price point for First quality and that is well below it!
  • Speaking of wines, the nervous crew outbound brought the bottle for presenation and tasting, whereas the homewards crew just presented us with filled glasses.
  • And I don't know what "champagne" they served on the ground in JNB pre-departure (again, bottle not presented) but it left me with acid digestion so I had to forego the LPGS in the air! (Maybe this was a cunning cost-saving manoeuvre?)
So, overall a good experience albeit too slow on the way down, whereas a sub-par result coming home. And on the ground nice enough, but no wow factor. Pretty much in line with my expectations from BA and just grateful to have had one good leg!

Was it worth the £2k each in the 2-4-1 offer? Probably, just. Would I be happy if I'd paid sticker price? LOL.