FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why doesn't Amtrak publicize its non-corridor trains more?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:28 am
ibrandsguest

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Why doesn't Amtrak publicize its non-corridor trains more?

I recently took an overnight trip on the Crescent. It was great: the dining car was brand-new and very nice, and the sleeping car that I was in was very pleasant: very quiet, and I got work done thanks to no interruptions and free WiFi.

I wouldn't expect overnight trains to become the primary mode of transportation in the US, but surely there is, or could be, enough demand to fill many more rooms on Amtrak trains, if people knew about them. In plenty of places around the US, people often have no clue that Amtrak serves their city--in my experience, even people who work in the railroad business and live in cities with multiple trains per day don't have any idea that Amtrak serves their city.

So: why doesn't Amtrak publicize its long-distance and other non-corridor trains more, or at least try to get free media coverage, such as by sending the Exhibit Train around to cities on long-distance routes? Has Amtrak analyzed the impact of its media spending and figures that advertising its long-distance trains is a waste?