FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting "thanks for being DM" i actually liked...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:16 pm
gitismatt

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pgh234
While I understand it might have sounded heartfelt and genuine, that type of response makes me feel odd.
#1 - I don't think I deserve applause for keeping food on your table like the Scrooge giving away a Christmas Bonus. You deserve that (as the employee) by coming to work reliably and doing your job.
#2 - I am sure that Delta has lost money flying me around on the mistake airfare deals, old mileage runs, etc that I have flown over the years
#3 - Any time a DL employee (or Porsche driver) asks me why I fly so much...saying "because I am a travel dork", "because I love gaming the system", and "because I am on a mileage run" never really leads the conversation to a place either one of us wanted it to go.

I have also never had a good experience in SLC.
regardless of the price you paid for the ticket, you contributed to the revenue of the airline and thus the overall profitability. delta just announced that they shared over $1bn back to their employees so I would really argue that your points #1 and #2 are incorrect. any extra cash given to delta most certainly does help their employees. as for #3 I have actually had more interesting conversations with people (employees and fellow pax) about my crazy mileage runs or other stupid travel behavior than I ever have about my travel for work. and I live in LAS which is always a guaranteed convo starter.