FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Colombo Airport (CMB): short overnight transit
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:09 pm
quarryking

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
I have an 8 hour layover, and I want to leave the airport, just to register Sri Lanka as a hit. So I'm thinking of this plan:

Arrive from MLE on UL at 1745. Hand luggage only. Taxi to Galle Face Hotel for a paid stay. Late dinner at Ministry of Crab then freshen up. Depart the next morning at 0330 (leave hotel at 2400?). Is this reasonable? Secure a transit visa online?
Assuming I'm reading your itinerary correctly, your landing at 17.45 hrs, say you leave the airport by about 18.15 hrs., you'd reach the city only by about 19.30 hrs.

Ministry of Crab has fixed timings for their dinner service and so you could make the 21.00 dinner service slot. You'd essentially be in the room only from say 22.30 - till midnight. After which you'd need to leave the hotel again for the airport. You could essentially scrap the hotel booking option and still accomplish the same.

Also, i'd say maybe even look at Negombo as an option. Not more than a 20 minute run from the airport. Lots of decent eating options by the sea. You wouldn't be holed up in a taxi for 2 hours plus, just commuting back and forth.