FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:04 pm
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Sorry I wasnt clear. The options are:

1. Fly on the united first seat (2K) from BRU - IAD on a 777-200. However, I will have to wait 2+ hours in IAD and then take a ERJ back to EWR.

2. Fly direct BRU - EWR on a non-retrofitted 777-200 which has the 2-2-2 business cabin. Seat 5E is available which is a nice seat offering a lot of privacy since there is the crew rest next to you and the closet on the other side.

So the question for those that experienced both seats is if it is worth the extra hassle for the united first seat considering this will likely be the last chance to try it. Or am I not really missing that much vs the hassle of a layover/ connection? I am also not even 1K anymore and only have that seat as I booked/ selected in Jan when I was 1K. The rest of the cabin is 2-4-2 which I hate.
For that trip, I would just go with the direct flight. Reason is: if they just change your flight to another configuration and change back to the configuration with the former first class, you'll most probably lose that 2K seat and there's low chances that you'll get it back and some chances that you'll get a middle seat in the group of 4 seats. And that flight is kind of short.

If both choices had a connection then I would risk it. That's what I'm doing for my next trip to Europe where I have to connect through ORD and either through FRA (with the First Class seats) or EWR (no First Class seats as it's a 763). When I booked my flight, I could choose a good seat in First Class so I'm connecting through FRA. Maybe I'll regret that choice when I lose my First Class seat but at this point it would cost me too much to switch to the flight connecting through EWR.