Old Feb 16, 19, 7:18 am
bk3day

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by gfunkp View Post
Hi travelers,

Here's a question I can't find info on - I'm traveling BE on American soon and was wondering whether it's better to check in as soon as possible or as late as possible to score a better seat. Any thoughts/experience? I guess the real question is whether AA assigns seats at check-in in order of least-to-most preferable available seats, or most-to-least preferable.

Thanks for any insight you have!
Gary
Another datapoint...

I'm AA dirt and recently flew MSY-PHL in BE.

I started online check-in a few hours after T-24 and was reviewing the upcharge options on the seatmap when I backed out of the process hoping to consider my options and complete OLCI a bit later. So, much for that idea, 'cause once I left the seat selection page, I was checked in automatically, and given a back middle (23E) on a seemingly empty flight.

About an hour laster, I logged back in to aa.com in hopes of changing or upgrading (for pay) my seat. No luck. No ability to alter the given 23E seat.

However, at the airport, when using the kiosk to print my boarding pass, I was given the option to change my seat for $$$. iirc, most aisles/window were still $11. If I wanted to change to another middle, the upcharge was $10.00. At that point, I decided to stick with my 23E since the rest of my row was still empty. Luckily, those seats remained empty when the door closed.

Next time, if there is a next time, before OLCI, I will definitely review my flight's seat map on aa.com/EF and consider my options.