FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Package General Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:26 am
kamchatsky

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Another data point here. I read through the Wiki and previous posts, and called UK number at late night in Australia (i.e. day time in UK), to un-attach an existing OC7 cert on my Springhill Suites Springdale Zion National Park (now Cat 6) to a points advance booking on 7-night Sheraton Waikiki (Cat 6) booked in November 2018 (when Sheraton hotels got migrated to Marriott system).

The operator tried to do it but after 10 minutes advised that the original booking was booked under OC7, and can only be converted to QP91 (ie NC5) and cannot attach to Sheraton Waikiki booking (yes I was hoping he could just attach it directly and not having to pay the 60K difference). So I asked him to CONVERT to QP99 and I will pay the 60K Marriott points difference. Initially he said he couldn't do it himself as he said the system won't allow him to do so, but I politely ask whether he can ask his supervisor to do it for him. So he did and after 10 minutes waiting, they got a new cert created and attach to Sheraton Waikiki booking.

So the call took 30 minutes in total. I didn't ask to cancel existing booking, but rather requested to un-attach a certificate from one booking and attach to another booking, Also I asked to convert the hotel certificate, rather than using the word "upgrade", with the correct QP codes provided upfront.

So it seems very painless to do if the instruction was provided to the CSR correctly, and be polite and ask the CSRs manager/supervisor help if required.
More data point: A couple of days ago (actually during the Bonvoy changeover night), I called UK contact centre again to convert another OC to NC, and this time I have slightly different experience:

1) Prebooked 7-night Marriott Waikiki Beach Hotel on OC8 before August 2018, for a stay in April 2019. Now Marriott Waikiki is Cat-6;
2) Booked 7-night JW Marriott Hong Kong (Cat-6) at Dec 2019-Jan 2020 using Point Advance feature a couple of weeks ago;
3) Called UK contact centre again at night in Australia (ie UK day time), and ask to detach my OC8 cert at Marriott Waikiki and attach to my JWM HK booking;
4) The agent spent 10 minutes trying and then tell me it is not possible because it is OC8 and can only map to new Cat-5 only;
5) I asked the agent to convert it to QP99 and I will pay the difference. He said that the system doesn't allow this, and even if he speaks with supervisor, it cannot be done;
6) I told him that I am simply moving a cert from Cat-6 hotel to another Cat-6 hotel, and he has to sort it out because it is not my issue that they have old certs; I also said that I have done this before without any issues in the past;
7) After 20 minutes speaking with supervisors, he said that he will do a one-time exception to convert to new Cat-6 because my old cert was already attached to a booking, which went up to Cat-6, and I have to pay the difference in points. I said OK, and I didn't argue about his comment about "one-time exception";
8) Then he spent next 10 minutes trying to convert it but ended up cancelling and reissue a cert. He said this is the most complex work he has ever done.
9) After another 10 minutes, OC8 is cancelled, NC6 is created and attached to my JWM HK booking. Then he tried to charge me the points difference, but somehow instead of deducting 30K points from my account (OC8->OC9=NC6 cost), he gave me 30K Marriott points.
10) I thank him for his patience and getting it done.

So this time there are more resistance from the CSR but at the end, I get what I wanted. So for anyone who are going to try to convert their certificates:

1) Read the Wiki and posts of people who have done successful certificate conversions;
2) Try to book new hotel booking using Points Advance before asking to attach to existing booking. It makes their life easier;
3) Be patient with CSR as they may have not done this before;
4) Be polite but firm with CSR. Be persistent;
5) Avoid using the word "upgrade", and use the word "convert";
6) Never cancel the booking with old cert, rather un-attach it (and re-attach it to another hotel booking if possible);
7) Think of ways of reasoning to force them to convert the certificate. For me it was un-attach from existing booking with the hotel went up 1 category, and attach it to another booking of hotel at the same category;