FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tip jars at Hampton Inn breakfast
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:38 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by trouble747
Are you speaking of ANY tipping, whatever the context? Whatever the merits of tip-based compensation, if you don't tip when it's customary to do so you're not helping the employee. That IS 'tacky.'
It is *not* customary to tip at a Hampton Inn. I oppose any steps taken to attempt to make people believe it is customary or feel guilty about not engaging in this scourge.

More broadly speaking, I believe it's a terrible economic model and should be driven out of society wherever possible. It leaves workers vulnerable and excuses corporations from fulfilling their responsibility to pay fair market wages for their talent. I get why it was used long ago with servants but I wish we as a people had moved beyond this kind of thinking. (Clearly we have not.)

That said, I don't engage in unusual tipping where it is customary, such as a U.S. restaurant. I just try to follow local custom wherever I am, even if I don't agree with the custom.