FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:40 am
StartinSanDiego
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by FlugE
I managed to call Chase from Thailand and the rep said that they were closed due to "too many accounts opened to recently" and "too short credit history". She would submit the case for possible reconsideration and that I would hear back from them in a week.

Fast forward to yesterday and I had two letters in the mail with same message and reasons above, one for each card. Also in the mail was my new CSP card which was closed before I received it Today I received a phone call from the credit dept informing me that they would not reinstate any of my closed accounts and that the main reason was that I opened 3 cards back in November (Chase Hyatt, BoA, Cap One). This might sound a lot, but the two latter ones were only opened since Chase denied my initial Hyatt app due to "too few accounts". At that point I had only 1 account (Amex) and those 2 accounts actually helped getting the Hyatt card with recon.

I am not a churner. I would really want a good travel card that is not an Amex but I have a short US credit history, 7 months and 4 opened accounts. The CSP would be the perfect card as I was planning to also upgrade to Sapphire banking which would yield an extra 60,000 UR points, only if I had a UR account...

The irony of it all is that when I go to my Chase online account (I have checking and savings) there is a banner saying that I am pre-approved for a CSP. Wonder if I should apply...
Sorry for your bad luck. Don't bother to apply for another Chase card, you'll simply be wasting time, energy and a hard inquiry on your credit report. I would venture to guess that you fit the algorithm of a person sinking into debt, possibly on the brink of bankruptcy, and desperate for credit. The banks call that profile a "bust out." In November you had a slim credit file.. only 7 months old (is that now, or in November? It's been 3 months since November...). Then you got a bunch of cards. Then, before your new credit lines were properly seasoned, you asked for even more credit. Lay low for another while... 6 months or so, and gently use and pay off your remaining cards to establish credit. Then revisit the miles and points world. Chase won't give you a card, though. Not soon and maybe not ever.