FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Client who insists on booking your travel
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:39 pm
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The client might cluelessly think that they're doing you a favor to arrange your travel. Have you tried offering to do it since it's faster and more convenient for you to just do it yourself or perhaps even saying that (if true) you have an eager assistant who enjoys doing the travel arrangements for you and is extremely good at it? Certainly it should be obvious that from your end, it's easier if all travel is arranged in the same way, on the same calendar, etc., if only to avoid potential conflicts and other mistakes.

It may be too late, but control of your own travel (and whatever guidelines, or just include it in the total price) should be part of your contract with the client.
I'm do a pro bono project as part of my good corporate citizenship so I didn't include my normal travel requirements in the contract. Yeah, my fault.

Here's what I just emailed:

[redacted],

I appreciate your willingness to book my travel arrangements, but in one case this has added considerable time to my travel because instead of taking a nonstop flight on Delta I'm connecting with American. Moreover, the rental car you've reserved is neither the most economical booking nor the most logical, as it's $100 more extensive and a smaller car.

As I've agreed to help you on this project on a pro bono basis I would appreciate the consideration of making my own travel arrangements. I didn't insist on this because you indicated you had special rates, but everything I've seen so far is actually more expensive.

Hopefully, we can continue working together.