FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Narcotics for migraine confiscated by TSA
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:55 am
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by T-the-B
I understand that you are sincere about helping MigranePatient avoid a repeat of the experience of the next trip and I commend you for that. What I don't understand is the need to coordinate ahead of a trip with TSA in order to get them to simply follow their own rules. Quite frankly, if they can't manage to do that why should anyone believe they are competent to provide effective screening?

Of course the unspoken assumption of everyone is that the drugs were seized due to incompetence. It seems equally likely to me that they were seized for resale or recreational use by the screeners.
I have no idea what caused this situation to happen, I was not there, and I have no other information aside from the OPs post. We see passengers coming through with rollaboards of nothing but medications, especially if they are traveling to or from treatment. I will not defend someone doing something against the SOP/Regs, so if that was indeed the case here, then there is no excuse.

I agree with you that the passenger should be able to come in, and get the same rules applied during screening. The only reason I include the TSA Cares info, is because if they are aware ahead of time, things tend to go a bit more smoothly because they can plan for it.

Just like most things in life - if you have prior notice, you can prepare ahead of time for them. If it is feasible, you can use a closed down lane with minimal staffing to give the passenger any special assistance they need - if they are unable to prepare, shifting resources around to accommodate can take time. It is simply suggested to help streamline the process for the passenger, and by extension the TSOs.