FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How would YOU improve T5 - radical ideas to reboot BA’s “home”
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:52 am
alex67500

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by chrisboote
Indoor smoking areas are illegal in the UK, and (I believe) in Ireland

There are some exceptions (e.g. care homes) but very few

In Germany, this law is reserved for the individual Länder, so in Bavaria absolutely no indoor smoking is allowed, including throughout München airport, while in NordRheinWestphalia, there are open doored smoking booths on many indoor train platforms
I was in MUC last week and had a cigarette in the Lounge's smoking room, and also in the "Camel Smoking room" by the gate an hour later when the flight was delayed some more. It is not stricto sensu "indoor smoking" but special sealed rooms (which mostly look like large fishbowls) with massive ventilation systems to avoid contaminating other areas when the doors open / close.

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think alex67500 means the airside smoking facilities which are all outside.

Actually it is a good question, I often see indoor sealed smoking rooms at other European airports like AMS or MUC. Are they juts prohibited in the UK or is it that UK airports choose not to spend the money doing them?
​​​​​​
Exactly. The outside cage at T3 was good enough. The little area next to the buses at connections was more than enough as well. I think it's discrimination, but obviously someone at HAL has a grudge against smokers.

Of course, the ideal one is in the BSL lounge, where you smoke outside on a terrace with a 270-degree view of the apron and runway, but I'm dreaming here :-)