FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Court Decision In Germany - Passenger does not need to fly last leg
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:25 am
benjai

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
If Lufthansa win the case, which I'm pretty sure they won't, wouldn't it set a huge precedent?

As an example: A 2 litre carton of milk costs £1. A 1 litre carton costs 70p and a 500ml carton costs 50p. I want 1.5 litres so buy the 2 litre bottle and throw the rest away. The precedent would imply I'm breaking the law in doing so. Sure, Tesco isn't going to take me to court for 20p but then unlike the airlines they can't grab the 500ml I didn't use and resell it, either.

I'm (obviously) no lawyer, but what makes airlines such a special case here? Is it the amount of savings?
Originally Posted by KARFA

I don’t quite see the relevance of the example here. Do your milk cartons say you are obliged to drink all the milk as a condition of buying it?

I think this a decent example though. If the manufacturer did state that you have to drink all of the milk as a condition of buying it otherwise you have to pay the difference of the more expensive combinations of cartons, would they be able to enforce/get away with it?

Because that is effectively what the airlines are saying.