FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some people have no manners (pt 3.)
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:46 am
snaxmuppet

Programs: BAEC Gold
The issue of whether we can take pics when on an aircraft or at an airport is not 100% clear IMO. There are a number of (often conflicting) issues...

Firstly, in the UK, it is permitted in almost all circumstances to take pics of people in a public space unless it is explicitly prohibited... we do not need the subjects permission. However, if the images are to be used commercially then it is wise to get a model release however, in a genuinely public space, a model release is not a legal requirement and no one can prevent anyone taking pics of anyone in a public space. Even the taking pics of kids is permitted under the law but if you are taking an unreasonable or unhealthy interest then you may be considered a nuisance or may come under the interest of police for other reasons... not to mention having to confront angry parents! If asked to stop, then stop but that goes for adults too - it is all about respect! See Devon & Cornwall Police - Taking photographs in a public space.

Airports and airplanes are privately owned and so although the public have access it is considered private property and so the airport or airline can restrict photography if they so wish. The problem is that my searching online cannot find any published policies on photography on their property. I have found references to some but no links and no officially published restrictions. See this article from 2015 (I don't think things have changed much tbh) : WHAT AIRLINES AREN’T TELLING YOU ABOUT THEIR PHOTOGRAPHY POLICY–UNTIL IT’S TOO LATE So, IMO, common sense applies.

Under privacy laws it might be considered an invasion of privacy if you take pics of someone where it is considered that they should have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Do people have a reasonable expectation of privacy when travelling on an airplane? IMO, they don't but that is only my opinion. If you can find a definitive answer please let us know.

So anyone who wants to use the law or regulations to justify photography in airplanes is always going to be on very dodgy ground. The airline/airport owner can make the rules... we must follow them even if they are not publicly published. IMO though there are a few basic guidelines we should all apply here...
  • Obey the crew! If the CC ask you to stop then stop. The cabin crew have almost absolute power to ask passengers to do almost anything and we must obey them absolutely. People have been banned from flying by disobeying a CC command.
  • Does the person you are snapping have the expectation of privacy? That is very much open to interpretation IMO on a plane. My wife says that your seat is a private space... my personal view is that on any public transport (including airplanes) that I would not expect to have privacy but YMMV. But I do believe that an aircraft cabin is a contained environment and so whether you believe it or not, many people will consider it private. Regardless of the rights and wrongs... a bop on the nose from a disgruntled passenger won't hurt any less if you are in the right!
  • Do T&Cs or Conditions of Carriage apply? Some airlines have policies over taking pics on their aircraft but they aren't very available online AFAICS. The bottom line here is that we are on private property... if the airline/airport don't want us to do it then we shouldn't do it. We could get banned if we don't comply! See United Airlines Kicks Travel Writer Off Of Plane For Photographing His Seat
  • I would expect crew's privacy should be respected and IMO they have the expectation not to be photographed at work and especially not to have photos of them put up on the internet anywhere. If you want to photograph them you can always ask their permission.
So, should the pics of people on planes with their various states of footwear (or not!) be published on the internet (such as here)? Personally, I don't think they should. I don't necessarily consider it a breach of privacy (that is just my opinion) but it may be a breach of airline policy, even if that policy is not published, and in any case there is a breach of respect if you do it, especially if it is a member of the crew. I did feel a bit uncomfortable at some of the pics posted here. Could we use the justification of "public interest" here? Possibly where risk to health is concerned I suppose. With others it just feels a bit voyeuristic. Again, just my opinion but there you are

Now, pics of seats, seating arrangements (even with passengers in pic), food, drink and views outside IMO should be OK. In theory, they might breach airline rules but I can't see anything wrong in them... again, just my opinion!

One thing is certain IMO... airlines should have a publicly accessible policy... most don't.

Last edited by snaxmuppet; Feb 12, 2019 at 3:07 am