FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Narcotics for migraine confiscated by TSA
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:05 am
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by MigrainePatient
I take a ton of narcotic a for migraines every 4 hours to deal with my extreme case of Chronic Migraines. I just had my meds confiscated due to the massive quantity according to the TSA agent. I had to take all of the prescription since I was going to be away for a while in order to have neurological surgery to help fix my health. I was carrying approximately 260 capsules of Fioricet with Codeine. Both are narcotics but they have different mechanisms of action is all. I explained that they were not only medically necessary and obviously prescribed but that without them I’d have to be hospitalized due to withdrawals since I suddenly stopped the medication instead of steeping down as would be the norm if I’d come of the medication. The TSA guy didn’t care and neither did his supervisor. They pitched all of it. I’m sure it didn’t help that the pharmacy decided to be lazy and just put a label on the 100 capsule bottle, it was even still sealed, they receive from the manufacturer but I’m still stuck. Hopefully my doctor will understand and provide a new script but that’s yet to be known. Also, that prescription costs well over $1000 before insurance. Since I’ve already picked up my monthly supply insurance won’t cover the medication on the event I receive a new script from my doctor. I’m not sure what the next few days will hold except for the fact I’m going through hell and will continue to do so for a while. This entire situation is preposterous but I couldn’t force anything with them at the time. I had to bite my tongue and I’ll just deal with it with the courts or any other authority that’ll listen. From now on I will definitely be getting a detailed note from doctor to hopefully stop thi from happening again. Wish me luck so that this hopefully gets resolved quickly and easily. God knows what my body is going to start putting me through in the next couple days....
I am sorry that you have had a bad experience. It sounds like the situation could have been handled much better.

I would recommend contacting TSA directly. If you would like to file a claim, you can link directly to their claims page here.

I would also recommend that if you would like to file a direct complaint with TSA, you may do so here.

In the future when you travel, you have the option to coordinate ahead of time with TSA at the TSA passenger support. Using the TSA Cares program, may help to prevent any possibility of a re-occurrence of this event.

Finally, if you wish to avail yourself of the other customer service sections of the TSA online sites, you can begin here at Contact TSA.