FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:37 pm
diamond club freeloader

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Still a great hotel ... even with a few disappointing changes

I haven't been at Bankside since early summer, so thought I'd update with my experience of staying a few nights this weekend.

I'm not a Bankside apologist, by any means, but it is worth noting that while the disappointing changes others have noted on this threat are quite right - this remains a top hotel.

The hard product continues to be presented immaculately. And I noted that the place was really buzzing - mainly the bar area... it's as though it has managed to gain traction in the area at last.

The few snips away from the service here and there are a shame - e.g. minibar offerings reduced as described above, Loseley yogurt no longer available at breakfast... The hotel persists with the 1-category-only upgrade practice too, but that's not new. But these issues are minor. There are enough lounge snacks and a 7-11 Sainsbury's next door to get past the lack of coca-cola, peanuts and gummy-bears in the minibar. The stand-out granola remains at breakfast and is just as nicely complemented by the loose greek yogurt as it was by the pear & fudge Loseley stuff.

I picked up a bargain weekend rate of £126, so that made booking a no-brainer. But, I have to say, the balance between this hotel and Tower Bridge is close and I'm inclined to let the too rate decide which I book. Just don't be too put off by the critical remarks you read. It has lost a bit of it's shine here and there but overall remains a superb UK Hilton.

As an aside... On this visit I discovered Tibits, nearby (hat tip to wizla for the recommendation) - the most joyful vegan meal I've ever had - I'll be back for sure!