FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I make an effort to reach Elite+?
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:41 am
borisbear

Programs: CO-GLD;HH-GLD;UA-1P;F9 QuickAscent;FL Courtesy Elite
I did the "comp elite" deal last fall so I am a pseudo-elite. Especially since I've never received my elite card.

The waived change fees (and refundability benefit) is a nice perk--I've used it a few times. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, especially if you are "forced" to use a corporate travel agent by your company (you have to force them to book it on Airtran's website for you, not through Sabre or other travel agent system).

But assuming you are always using the Airtran Website, you should have no problems (although you usually have to call them to process the refund or ticket change--at least that's been my experience.)

The no-change-fee fares and refundable fares are Y, B, and M class tickets. In other words, not the cheapest, sale fares. When you are elite and you log onto their website, it lists all the fares available for a given site (with all their fare classes) instead of just the standard cheapest coach and cheapest business class fare. (Y and B are also the "free upgrade" fares).

All fares include the pre-assigned seats, and (despite what the website says) you can do it on-line right when you book (but only if you've logged in as elite)

There seems to be marked inconsistency across the stations as far as allowing pre-boarding, quick security lines, etc.

I don't fly them enough to earn full elite next year. It's nice, but for me, they don't fly to enough places I need to go to be my first choice (although they are the best choice for a few of the places I need to go).

Your situation might qualify you for a comp--it sounds like you are exactly the market they want to target (especially if they can squeeze higher yield out of you by buying the changeable YBH fares when elite). No harm in calling them up and asking for a comp to elite now--then you can give them your business the rest of the year and try them out. Call up the Aplus number and see.

Let us know what happens...