FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I make an effort to reach Elite+?
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:36 am
GradGirl

Should I make an effort to reach Elite+?

So, I've checked online, and my regular travel habits on AirTran earn me at least half the credits needed to reach elite. I could schedule, say, four extra roundtrips in the next 90 days and get there, to Elite+. I have residences in two cities connected by a direct AirTran route, and it would be somewhat reasonable but somewhat more expensive than my normal travel schedule to pump up my numbers and reach Elite in the new few months.

Does anybody have advice about whether I should try? What are the benefits that you find most important about being Elite? Business class would be nice for me for preboarding, but I"m small so the legroom in a normal seat is no big deal. I don't drink, so no big whoop about free alcohol in business class. But choosing my seat early even on the super-cheap fares sounds like a great perk. Transferability of credits to Mr. GradGirl's account would help us get more free flights.

My number one priority, though is the waiver of change and cancellation fees. Because I have a house and a life in both cities, it's difficult at times to plan as much in advance as I need to with airline tickets. I have probably changed or cancelled at least six times in the past year, which cost me $300. But AirTran only says that change and cancellation fees are waived on "on select fares". Does anyone know how restrictive that would be? Would I still be out another $300 by this time next year, or would I save money and gain flexibility with this perk? If it were free to change my tickets, I'd probably do so much more than I already do.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!