FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:48 pm
Lobonomnom

I have a non-speculative points advance reservation for 5 nights at Al Maha the week of thanksgiving. Cash rates are currently $2200/night. Marriott has advertised for months that I could “lock in” a Cat 7 rate by booking before the rates change. I agreed with Marriott through the booking process that I would pay 240k points 14 days or more before check in. I knew that I already had half a million MR and UR so if something happened and I was unable to accrue 240k MR, I could make the transfer a few weeks before the stay for the remaining points as a back up plan. Then a couple months after booking and 10 months before my stay, I’m told by Marriott that they’ve changed the terms that we agreed upon and I have 4 weeks to come up with the total amount due or they would charge me 100k more points for my stay.

I’m left with 3 options:
1) cancel my reservation
2) transfer 240k MR or UR to book the stay
3) allow Marriott to breach our booking agreement and charge me 100k more points for a reservation I’ve already made

For those that think Marriott is not being unreasonable, please let me know how Marriott is not being unreasonable. I played by the rules and T&C they set, I didn’t make 50+ speculative award bookings, I have had the full intent of carrying out my stay and all of my other travel arrangements are confirmed and paid for.