FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Designing the most cost-effective polycarbonate suitcase (Need your help!)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:08 am
tclvictor

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I would not find the self-weighing handle of much value--one scale that goes in a carry-on is less to carry than building a scale into each suitcase. (I rarely travel alone, one scale suffices for however many are traveling together. I can see more value for the business traveler.)

I also see no point in a battery. If I want a battery I pack a battery--and it's in my personal item, not my rollaboard. If you're determined I would suggest instead omitting the battery but making a USB pass-through connection. Instead of the usual plug straight in I would make the plug go parallel to the case (put it next to something that's going to stick out anyway so it doesn't make it any bigger, or if there are no such locations, put it in a recess) so the wire isn't as vulnerable and you can use whatever battery you want.
Hi Loren,
Thanks for your input. Our current plan is that only the large checked bag has the self-weighting handle because it is the most likely one to go over-weight.
Regarding the battery, maybe we will build two versions, one with battery and one without. According to the feedback from other sources, we found many people think it's a great feature to have especially when they get used to it.